Are You Thinking About IoT?
Are You Thinking About IoT?
If you are thinking about creating a new product or integrating an existing product with the Internet of Things, it’s probably because you’ve heard about the great benefits of IoT device integration. Simply put, what this means is making a physical device integrate with the virtual world of the Internet and all it has to offer. But what is IoT, and what is it specifically meant for? We answer all of these questions to help you decide whether IoT is the right choice for you.
What is IoT?
Generally, the Internet of Things refers to everything that has a connection to the Internet. However, it’s normally used to describe certain objects or devices that communicate with each other via the Internet. These devices don’t even need to be on the same network to communicate, as long as they are all connected to the Internet, communication between them is able to happen via the Internet of Things. IoT gathers data from all of the devices as well as being able to connect them so that actions can be carried out following analysis of the data.
Why is IoT Used?
IoT is used both in business and for everyday use at home. In business, it can have many benefits and is mainly used for:
- Bringing you closer to your customers.
- Improving organisational efficiency.
- Giving you insights into your customers and how they use your products. This is information that you’ve never had access to before.
IoT is now used in a range of different industries including; agriculture, manufacturing and the public sector. It’s becoming a very popular method for solving a variety of problems within different businesses across the world.
IoT Cloud Integration
To get these benefits, IoT device integration is needed and more specifically IoT cloud integration.
1. First, you’re going to need your device. It could be as simple as a lightbulb or something more complex like a fresh air ventilation system, a phone system or energy meter.
2. The next step is to connect your device to the Cloud using standard IoT protocols, via a wi-fi network, or using a GSM card like the one in your mobile phone.
3. Once your device is connected to the Cloud, you can get messages back home into your existing IT infrastructure. Or, you can create new cloud-based applications to access the data gathered by your device. Alternatively, to allow you or your customers to issue instructions to your device.
You can also connect your Cloud to other useful pieces of technology such as a smartphone App, Amazon’s Alexa, Google Home, Apple Siri or the IFTTT system. The options are endless!
Azure IoT Services
Azure IoT development is a form of IoT cloud integration, which allows an Azure IoT Hub to connect all your IoT devices together. The Azure IoT Hub is a secure, long-lasting and scalable component, making it a great choice of Cloud IoT infrastructure for any business or company.
McKenna Consultants are software specialists which means that we have integrated our clients’ devices with the Cloud, and also the Cloud with their IT infrastructure. We have also built Cloud-based Apps, web portals, reports, analytics, mobile Apps, personal assistant device Apps and much more, that all connect to our clients’ Internet Of Things devices. We build best of breed systems that are bespoke to your requirements, meaning you get a great fit for your business needs and you also own 100% of the software and IP that is created.
Contact us today for your free initial consultation and see if we can help you get your device on to the Internet Of Things.
We have numerous experience in IoT device integration and Azure IoT Hub solutions. For examples of both, please view our case studies to learn more about the clients we have previously helped.